Monday, May 30, 2011

Phoenix Comicon 2011 part 1

Another year and the Phoenix Comicon has continued to grow!! So much stuff went on that I'm going to break this into 2 posts.  Thursday through Saturday.......here we GO!
When I first went to the Phoenix Comicon 4 years ago it was held at the Mesa Convention center.  It was relatively quiet, there were little to no lines and I was able to sit and chat with artists for as long as I wanted.
Last year, I had the tremendous opportunity to be the spokesperson.  We pulled in almost 15 THOUSAND attendees, changed locations and the guest list was filled with more special guests than ever before, including an appearance by Mister Stan Lee.
This year, I was invited to be a guest of the convention (what an HONOR!) so I had a table on my own and the web series I am in, Western X ( http://www.westernxtheshow.com ) had a booth.  Our booth was occupied by Vernon Wells http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0920460/ who stars in AND produces the show.  Besides him, many of the shows cast frequented, including Dustin Hale, Kaily Alisano, Michael and Aaron Flores, Jason James and more.  (The picture above was taken at our booth.)
Thursday kicked the convention off and as I was unloading my heavy blue tub that housed a majority of my prints, I ran into convention favorite Wil Wheaton, aka Wesley Crusher.  As he was crossing the isle I was attempting to walk through he recognized me (we have a mutual friend and met at last years con), and helped me all the way to my table, as he gave me advice on how to avoid such heavy lifting in the future.  Haha....it was a good start to the week.  I spent the rest of the night setting up and running between my table and the Western X booth.  I was so busy that I didn't even get a chance to see any other guests or stop to see any art!
On Friday, I had 2 friends to help out with my table which was definitely needed as I was able to talk to all of the wonderful people I met.  I had a very short amount of time to run around an isle or 2 so I made sure to visit Ebas, Nei Ruffino and the rest of the Zenescope crew, Shannon Denton and his lovely wife (they are favorites of mine ^_^) and some of the artists from Evil Robo http://www.facebook.com/EvilRoboProductions
After the convention I found a bar called Coach and Willies.  They were having extended happy hour (score!), so I had a few beers while I waited for my best friend Sarah to get into town from LA.  We ended up hanging out for a few hours and I won a raffle while I was there!  I got 2 tickets to an Arizona Rattlers game!!! Ive never been to one so I can't wait!
After drinks, we went and hung out with the awesome Evil Robo Crew all night.

Saturday was another day of insanity.  The guys from Evil Robo had a hard time getting to the convention the next morning so I gave them a lot of shit when they finally rolled in after 1.  I love conventions but they are very difficult weeks because its con all day  and parties all night.  It's worth it though.  It's always a good time.
At 4 on Saturday I had to pack up my table and run to a Western X panel. I was dressed as Nico Robin from One Piece so I sat with the cast, who were dressed as their characters in a bright red har and little bikini top.  It was definitely a funny thing to see.
I then ran to makeup for the Steampunk fashion show and walked in a dress by Amanda Tucker at Evermore Nevermore.  http://www.evermorenevermore.com/ , was part of a cosplay panel, and then went to the Western X premier for episodes 4 and 5.  It was BUSY!! After the con I took Marc Dos Santos over to where the Evil Robo crew was staying and we hung out for a short time.
SO much in just a few short days and that's not even all! Stay tuned, as I'll be posting about the remainder later tonight!
Who of you went to the con this year? Are you going to San Diego and did you cosplay?

1 comment:

  1. You're an awesome person and I'm glad to have met you. You're also beautiful, which I can say now since I'm in another state. I'm happy for you and your success and can't wait to see how both continue to evolve.

    ReplyDelete

So what do you think? What do you want read/see more of next time?